Saturday, March 22, 2008

Gotta love Easter, until....

you stand on the scales. I don't know which celebration is worse for putting on weight, Easter or Christmas.

One of my favourite foods is hot cross buns. Liz, one of the girls at work has lost count of my favourite foods (and so have I). She thought I was obsessed by chocalate, until she saw me dive on the hot cross buns in the tea room. And I guess she watched me eat two for supper one night at work. They were Bakers Delight ones, definitely not light-weights. I have eaten 4 today, two for morning tea, and another two at my sister's for arvo tea. Yum. I bought a couple of packets for the freezer as well, so they should maybe last me till Anzac Day.

Back to the chocolate obsession, I have discovered that the chocalate machine up past the Maternity ward at my hospital only accepts exact change at the moment. On Wednesday I had the biggest chocolate craving that I have had in a long time. If I was at home, I would just eat a few spoons of milo and I would be right. I figured that the next best option would be to get a Cadbury fix after taking a patient to the ward. I was most unhappy to discover that I would have had to donate $1.60 to the machine in order to get my fix. Instead, I did a few groceries at Woolies on the way home and bought some little Top Deck eggs (delish), and a crate of 20 eggs that I will attempt for about the 6th successive year to only eat one a day.

I also bought a bag of little Cadbury eggs for work. It was only after I had eaten most of them myself that I realised that the bag weighed 475gms. I don't think the padding I will gain from that has helped with the sudden cool change that we got yesterday. Thursday was 29 degrees, yesterday was 14. I have always been a bit of a coldfish, (OK, a lot of a coldfish). I love nothing better in winter than hanging out with my ugg boots on. But the 14 degree change in temp? C'mon. I looked at my thermostat earlier and it was 22 degrees. Maybe I should have put on my uggies, cos it felt like it was cold enough to put on the heater! I didn't though, eating leftover pizza and garlic bread with some red wine did the trick. I can highly recommend the chicken italiano pizza from Dominos. It looked so good when I bought it home last night that I couldn't take a pic of it for my blog - I had to start eating it straight away. I skipped the mushrooms, and had capsicum instead. As you can guess, I don't bother with the no meat on Good Friday. I have such a strong dislike for seafood that I can't even do fish oil supplements, even the anti reflux ones leave a fish taste in my mouth. I have flaxseed oil instead to make up for my not eating fish every week. Don't think it does much to help my skin, or could that be all the chocolate that I eat?

When I put the pizza box out in the bin earlier, I found this on my doorstep. I really found him with my foot, cos I didn't turn on the light. Luckily he bounced.

I don't know who left him there, I have some really great neighbours. Pity about the noisy dog that barks and keeps me awake when I am on-call. Unless you have done shiftwork or been on-call to go in at all hours, you don't appreciate the value of sleep. Otherwise you would not play piano loudly at 7.30 in the morning, and you would tell your dog to stop barking, especially in the middle of the night.

What have I been up to? Yesterday I planted a couple of natives in my front garden. I had bought a correa called Little Cate in Katie's memory. I didn't realise till I got it home that it was spelt wrong. Doesn't matter, it is still a nice plant. I also planted a crowea to replace the two that had died. I have given up on water crystals in the garden. I had followed the instructions on the container, but with disastrous results. Three of the plants that I had put in last year died after heavy rains - they were suffocated by the crystals. I didn't realise how clay the soil was in that garden bed. I need to get some gypsum to break it up. I think maybe 3 tonnes would do the trick, man is that stuff hard to dig! I also put in some pansies, alyssum and some sweet william. I had bought them last weekend, but didn't plant them cos I figured they would die in 30 degree+ heat. They nearly died anyway.

Did I tell you what I won last year? I joined the Yates Garden Club, and entered a competition. I received an email the day after Katie died telling me that I had won. It arrived a couple of weeks ago..


I have to decide where I will put it. Can't wait to use the stinky dynamic lifter. The timing is pretty good, I had run out of seasol. I think I will give away the water crystals that came with it, I really don't like them. Here is what happened to my pumkin when we had about 60mls of rain in a night.




My wrap that I am knitting is slowly progressing. There is about 33cm to knit between the armholes. I am up to approx 27cm. Can't wait to be able to do the decreases. It doesn't look like much spread on the floor like that, but I am hoping it will look nice on. I love the colour. I can't wait till I can start a new project with my knitpicks needles. I can't decide what to knit, I have so much wool, and so many patterns to inspire. Some of my wool is no longer really fashionable, like the velveteen and another called FDK. I thought that I could maybe knit some things for around the house as practice. You never know, they might turn out good enough to wear out.

Well, that is it for the moment. Half of my long weekend is gone. Tomorrow I will be at my sisters watching a bunch of 2 year olds searching for easter eggs, that has got to be hilarious. Then I have to do some housework and get into the readings for my ACLS thing I did a couple of weeks ago. I should have read the book within a few days of the seminar, but it got buried under a pile of other stuff to read. I have about 3 weeks to read it and do the e-learning exam. Here's hoping I am never in a situation that requires me to do advanced cardiac life support. The main thing I can remember at the moment is that every second drug is Adrenaline. I hope my mind lets me remember more than that when I do the theoretical and practical exams and doesn't just go completely blank.

Off to bed, hopefully I will be able to sleep and not lay there trying to work out which of my neighbours gave me the bunny. I will see if I can make him last - Liz if you read this, no laughing!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Stop talking about food - you're making me hungry!

Forget about the gypsum - it's crap and doesn't do your soil any good or your plants. Get some stuff called "ground breaker" in liquid form. When I see you next I'll give you the lowdown on how to use it. They told us all about it at our waterwise workshop last week, and we bought some.

Lucky you getting a bunny! And he bounces! Hope he stays still long enough to catch him and eat him!